Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Monday, June 4: A delicious waffle-bacon-luscious strawberry breakfast was served up this morning at the Buckhorn B&B by our cheery host, Sherry. Ron wanted to visit an old gold mining town and I needed a little quiet time, so Ron went solo. He reports: “It was a little longer than I thought, 2.5 hours each way, but it was worth it! The first stop was an old mercantile/stage stop/boarding house/ranch. The Old Brule folks would have been in heaven: 1880s vintage barns, house, and many misc. outbuildings complete with inhabitants dressed in period clothing. A fellow driving a team of horses was Leo Sanda’s clone—spent his whole life in the 80s and 90s being a cowboy from Texas to Canada. The spot was named the Cottonwood House because the log house was built from cottonwood; when it’s dried it’s harder than oak. But the “piece de resistance” was Barkerville, a goldmining town of 3000 people in 1864 with 100 or so buildings that time forgot. Eighty per cent of the buildings are exactly the way they were built 150 years ago. It’s an incredible historical treasure which BC runs now. They give you a full page of different activities and lectures everyday. Many actors dressed in period clothing roam the streets, engaging anyone who will listen, of course that meant me! There is a large Chinese section with laundries and shops. A very interesting archeologist from Prince George BC was doing a dig on some of the Chinese terraced gardens. Had too many good bear stories! Needed a whole day to see, not just three hours. I’m delirious!” This is Sue: I’m delirious too! I totally cleaned out my Douglas County emailbox, did some delicate washing and proofed a 45-page college paper that I’d promised a friend. Ron got back about suppertime. We ate, played a little cards and I read my last compelling Nevada Barr book (thanks Sandy!) while Ron downloaded pictures. I’ll update the blog next stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment